Ladies and gentlemen, we’re in a “lockdown”! One we never got any heads up about and one we quite frankly never want to experience again. It’s been weeks of self-isolating, social distancing and keeping safe during this pandemic. Since we’ve been home we’ve done the most; from participating in 101 challenges, forging lasting relationships with our fridge, House Party hopping, working out, binging on all the shows on Netflix to being lost in the vortex of our favourite social media platforms or just staring into space wondering when we can go back to living life as we know it.
Everyone’s sharing tips on what to do while we’re home but no one is telling us what we should be wearing which is where I come in. If you’re anything like me, you’re probably doing all the things I’ve listed above in your most comfortable clothes so I’ve put together a list of my top 6 comfy clothes to wear during a lockdown.
1. Maxis: it could be a skirt or a dress, be plain colours or exciting bold prints, strapless or thigh-high slits, full length or midi. Whatever your preference is, you’ll agree with me that there’s something about donning a maxi dress that makes you feel like royalty and at the same time at ease. PS. It also means more room to hide your food baby without being judged LOL!
2. Tees: These can be cool graphic tees with witty quotes or your regular plain coloured tees. They can be snug or oversized and will keep you feeling like a cool cat.
3. Gym wear: Definitely one to psyche you into wanting to do some spontaneous workout routine, have you jogging on the spot or simply doing some arm stretches as you journey from your couch to the kitchen.
4. Palazzo trousers/Culottes: even with or without a lockdown, I live for the perfect pair of palazzo trousers & culottes. They’re breezy, fun, easy to pair with anything from a basic crop top to a corporate shirt (extra points if they’re high waisted).
5. Boyfriend Shirts: This one is easy, simply obtain your man’s shirt like you would his hoodies. Now for some of us who are without boyfriends or manfriends no need to feel downcast, any oversized shirt would work just fine. Pull the look together with a cute pair of shorts, leggings or mini skirt, feel free to tie and tuck for added oomph! Ps. This look works perfectly if you’re working from home and need to join a quick Zoom meeting.
6. Pajama Set: it seems 2018’s pajama set fashion trend might have just made an unexpected dramatic comeback, certainly not the way they envisioned it would and definitely not as stylish. Quite frankly I believe it was made for these times where you can wake up in your PJs, go about your day in them and go to bed in them fuss free and cute.
A few clothing items that’ll probably never make the cut will be a pair of jeans, a bra, jumpsuit or blazer; just thinking of them makes me shudder.
What did I miss out? Which ones have you rocked so far?!
**SIDE BAR: it’s okay to go about naked and let it go! You can also pick a day where you actually dress to the nines to remind yourself of what your slay game was like before aunty Rona came to town.
Here’s a special thank you to essential workers all over the world who are going above and beyond to make sure that we survive this pandemic and to those who have lost loved ones, my heart goes out to you!